Gum and bone health is essential to maintaining oral health. Related diseases can cause extensive dental problems and health problems. Gums and bone are support structures that help to protect your teeth and keep your teeth stable in your mouth. Good oral hygiene along with regular dental visits can help to keep your gums and mouth healthy. At Refresh Dental, we provide gum care services as well as we look for early signs of disease or vulnerabilities.
Gum disease is an inflammatory disease, that can affect both the gums as well as the underlying bone. This problem should be addressed early to avoid permanent damage. Mild inflammation is treatable with dental hygiene care. If you ignore this problem, gum disease can progress. There are three stages of gum disease including:
- Gingivitis - This is the earliest sign and is often caused by poor brushing technique. You must remove plaque from the teeth and gum line with proper flossing and brushing. Failing to do this can cause bacteria to buildup, which causes inflammation. This stage is reversible with proper cleaning. Bone or connective tissues aren't affected yet.
- Periodontitis - This is the second stage where all supporting fibers that keep your teeth in place are damaged. This damage can't be reversed but further treatment can help limit its progression. It's important to take action at this stage so you can prevent more damage and keep teeth healthy and stable.
- Advanced Periodontitis - At this stage both the fibers and bones that form the tooth's support system are damaged. Sometimes at this stage teeth have to be removed due to mobility or discomfort.
All of this can be prevented by regular checkups, dental hygiene, and a good diet. If you clear the plaque regularly and eat a healthy diet low in sugar, it is easier to maintain oral health.
What does a dentist do?
Our general dentists conduct a thorough examination, checking teeth, gums, and mouth to diagnose any signs of oral disease. They can identify signs of gum disease even in its early stages and discuss treatment options to prevent it from escalating. Our team of dental professionals can help you with the following:
- Show you proper brushing and flossing techniques to ensure you remove plaque build-up every day.
- Check for tartar/calculus build-up, decay, and other signs of inflammation.
- Clean teeth of soft plaque and hard calculus to reduce the bacteria. Calculus is hardened or calcified plaque so regular brushing techniques won't remove it. Calculus can only be eliminated with the help of professional dental tools.
- If the gum disease in is advanced stages, more regular hygiene visits or additional therapies may be presented.
The frequency of dental hygiene visit is determined by your individual oral health needs. Prevention is key! Don't wait until you experience pain or discomfort to have your mouth assessed. Regular treatments like cleaning or calculus removal can help keep your gums and teeth healthy. As dental professionals, we can help to diagnose oral disease and assist you in treatment of those diseases.
If you want to know more about our gum care services here at Refresh Dental, give our office a call at 780-705-5557. You can also get in touch through our online form and book an appointment.
2 Saturdays a Month: 9am-2pm
Request an Appointment