Teeth whitening is becoming the most common esthetic dental procedure. Teeth naturally come in different shades and items we consume can stain or change the color of our teeth. Great oral hygiene habits including brushing and flossing, as well as professional care, can help to remove surface stains on your teeth. If additional teeth whitening is desired, there are teeth whitening systems that can be used. At Refresh Dental, we provide teeth whitening services to help you create a whiter smile.
What is teeth whitening?
This process lightens the color of your teeth using teeth whitening or bleaching solutions. Over-the-counter solutions are often not as effective as professional teeth whitening because the concentration of bleaching solution is lower than can be administered by a dental professional. A dental professional will also review if teeth whitening is a good option for your teeth and any limitations or contraindications to the procedure.
What causes discoloration in your teeth?
Discoloration and staining can be caused by a number of factors including: poor dental hygiene, regular consumption of dark beverages and food (such as wine or coffee) and smoking. Enamel also often darkens with age. Sometimes discoloration can be a symptom of a deeper problem like tooth decay or nerve issues so it is important to make sure you have a dental exam before whitening. Also, previous restorative work such as crowns or bridges will not change color with teeth whitening. Our general dentists will carefully examine your teeth and oral health to determine if teeth whitening is appropriate for you.
Refresh Dental offers two options for teeth whitening: at home custom whitening and in office ZOOM! whitening
At home custom teeth whitening:
- Impressions are taken to create custom whitening trays for you.
- You can chose between day or night whitening solution for the system depending on what would be best for you and your schedule.
- Trays are tried in and adjusted if needed and instructions for home use are reviewed with you.
- Teeth whitening is completed daily for approximately 2 weeks at home with your custom trays.
- Final whitening results are developed over time as you use the product.
- Custom trays can be kept for additional touch up bleaching in future if desired.
ZOOM! Teeth Whitening:
- In office treatment.
- Takes approximately 2 hours to complete.
- Your gums and surrounding structures are covered with a protective barrier. All areas of the mouth are covered or retracted, aside from your teeth, which remain exposed for whitening.
- The whitening solution is placed on the teeth and then light activated.
- Teeth whiten throughout the session.
- Custom take home trays are also included for future home touch ups if desired.
With both systems, post instructions are reviewed. Tooth sensitivity during and after whitening is common but for most people it is a transient symptom.
How long does this last?
Results from teeth whitening vary between patients, as does the length of time the teeth maintain their shade. There are many ways to reduce stain including keeping the health clean with regular care, avoiding staining food and not smoking. We provide detailed instructions on long-term care so you can avoid stains as much as possible.
If you want to know more about our teeth whitening services here at Refresh Dental, give us a call at 780-705-5557. You can also get in touch through our online form and book an appointment.
2 Saturdays a Month: 9am-2pm
Request an Appointment