Tooth Colored Fillings
Tooth decay and cavities can cause a considerable amount of damage to teeth. If these problems are ignored, dental decay can become symptomatic or cause substantial damage to teeth. Once dental decay is diagnosed, the diseased tooth structure is removed. The diseased portion of the tooth that was removed can be replaced with a tooth-colored filling to maintain the tooth's structural integrity. At Refresh Dental, our general dentists provide restorative services including tooth colored fillings or restorations.
What is tooth colored filling?
There are different kinds of restorative materials available including: amalgam, composite resin, gold, and porcelain. For fillings, the most common materials used are composite resin (tooth colored filling) and amalgam. Some advantages to composite resins include:
- They can be placed chairside in one appointment.
- They bond to natural tooth structure which often allows the tooth preparation to be more conservative than amalgam restorations.
- Composite resin comes in many different shades. It is matched to the color of your natural tooth as to closely mimic the look and shade of natural teeth.
Why might you need a filling?
Bacteria cause dental decay which breaks down enamel and dentin. If left untreated, the decay will progress and additional tooth structure will be lost and the tooth may also become symptomatic. Dental fillings can replace the damage tooth structure after the decay is removed and restore function of the tooth.
If the tooth is too damaged or the decay severe, a root canal and/or crown may be a better alternative. In some cases, if the decay is severe enough, the tooth may not be restorable and instead needs to be removed. Our general dentists can examine your teeth and explain the recommended treatment options for your individual situation.
How do I maintain a filling?
Fillings and restorations need to be cared for just like natural teeth. Excellent care at home as well as regular professional care is required to maintain a filling for as long as possible. Also, it is important to reduce excessive force on fillings just the same as natural teeth. If you are a clencher or grinder, our dentist may recommend additional steps to try and protect your teeth and fillings from damage.
How can you prevent decay and the need for fillings?
Preventative care is key! We recommend the following tips:
- Brush twice a day ensuring you are spending 2 minutes and cleaning all surfaces of your teeth well. Floss daily to remove plaque from between the teeth.
- Examination by a dental professional on a regular basis.
- Regular professional hygiene care. Frequency of these visits is determined on an individual case basis.
- Avoid sugary foods and drinks that increase your risk of developing cavities.
- Use fluoride or xylitol containing toothpaste.
Our general dentists will provide a detailed oral care plan to help reduce your risk of developing tooth decay. Following these recommendations will help reduce your chance of developing problems in the future.
If you want to know more about our teeth colored fillings services here at Refresh Dental, give us a call at 780-705-5557. You can also get in touch through our online form and book an appointment.